1. Each student will write, direct and edit their own films with a dedicated crew right away in first semester. Every student will make up to 4 films, plus docs, commercials, music videos and much more over the four semester, 2 year program. We think the best way to learn filmmaking is to make movies. Lots of movies. Conflix produces over 150 films each year.
2. Students have the opportunity to shoot on professional, Hollywood grade cameras, including the ARRIFLEX ALEXA. The Alexa is used to shoot Hollywood films such as The Avengers, Deadpool, The Revenant, Gravity, Skyfall, World War Z, Mad Max: Fury Road, and Guardians of the Galaxy, plus TV shows like Game of Thrones. The Alexa was used by nearly every single Cinematography, Directing, and Best Picture nominee for the 2015 and 2016 Oscars, including Best Picture SPOTLIGHT (on which CONFLIX grad Walter Gasparovic was the first assistant director). Renting an Alexa package for a few days costs about as much as tuition! We own one. You can use it. Plus we now own an Arriflex AMIRA too, because why have one Hollywood camera when you can have two.
3. CONFLIX supplies all of the film equipment you will need for your films. Because this is included in your tuition and tech fees, there is no need to rent any equipment at additional cost to shoot your films. We own professional lenses, lighting gear, dollies, tripods, jib arms, stabilizers, cameras of all kinds, and everything in between. Students do not have to own computers or any software. We have over 50 editing workstation in two dedicated film labs plus 5 private editing suites with all the latest editing and post production software. The film program supplies everything you need to learn filmmaking A-Z. At other schools you might have to pay a lot of extra money to rent the gear you need.
4. Many new ‘film schools’ have opened in the last few years, but CONFLIX has been graduating film students since 1970. Grads of our program have worked in the industry from coast to coast and around the world for almost 50 years. Have you seen Captain America: Civil War? The Director of Photography (DOP) was Trent Opalach. Have you seen the latest Taylor Swift music video? It was probably colour graded by David Hussey. Marc Hroc has been a very successful camera operator and Brad Rines is a busy editor. The program continues to have an excellent reputation for successful grads.
5. We are a 2-year program and are among the least expensive film programs in Canada. For the latest information on tuition fees and other costs, please go to http://www.confederationcollege.ca/program/film-production/tuition-fees We are one of the least expensive film programs you can take, but have the best 'student to equipment' ratio in Canada.
6. Students have 24 hours, 7 days a week access to our facility and equipment. You are not limited to the curriculum; we expect our students to experiment, explore, and use the gear for their own projects too.
7. We outright own professional lenses, lighting gear, dollies, tripods, jib arms, and camera equipment! We have more cameras, grip equipment, and post production resources than just about any other film program anywhere, and probably the best ‘equipment to student ratio’ in Canada.
8. FILM NIGHT - At the end of the school year, all of the second year thesis films are showcased to the entire community on the big screen with full surround sound. Imagine seeing YOUR film on the big screen with big sound for a large enthusiastic crowd.
9. TORONTO TRIP - In the fourth semester the entire second year class heads to Toronto for a week. We’ll even pay for your hotel! We will explore the industry, make contacts, do some networking, and meet some of our many grads from past years who are now working in the business.
10. Simple application process: no essays to write, no interviews, no portfolios needed. Just apply!